We get asked this so often that we think it deserves a post all on it's own.
In general, there are 3 different types of product for your beard, namely balms, oils and waxes. There are also fancier variations of the balms marketed as "butter" or "whipped butter" (sounds more like a culinary delight if you ask us, but let's keep it to the 3 main product types!
Beard balms are semi-solid and provide hydration, conditioning, and light hold. Beard oils are liquid and primarily moisturize, soften, and reduce frizz. Beard waxes have a thicker consistency, offer a stronger hold, and are used for shaping and styling your beard. The choice between them depends on your preferences, beard type, and the style you want to achieve.
Beard Balms: Beard balms moisturize, condition, and style your beard. It usually comes in a semi-solid form and contains ingredients like shea butter, beeswax, and carrier oils. Beard balms provide hydration to the beard and skin, reducing itchiness and dryness. They also offer a light hold, helping you shape and tame your beard while giving it a natural shine.
- Consistency: Beard balms have a thicker consistency compared to oils and waxes. They often contain ingredients like shea butter, beeswax, and carrier oils, which give them their semi-solid form.
- Moisturizing: Beard balms are designed to hydrate both your beard and the underlying skin. The moisturizing properties can help alleviate dryness, itchiness, and flakiness.
- Conditioning: The ingredients in beard balms work to nourish and condition the beard, making it softer, smoother, and more manageable.
- Light hold: Beard balms offer a light hold, helping you shape and tame your beard. They are suitable for those who want a natural-looking beard with slight control.
- Hydration: Beard balms provide essential moisture to the beard and skin, preventing dryness and promoting overall beard health.
- Conditioning: The conditioning properties of beard balms can help soften coarse facial hair, making it easier to manage and reducing tangles.
- Control and styling: With their light hold, beard balms allow you to style and shape your beard to a certain extent, providing a well-groomed appearance.
- Soothing effect: The ingredients in beard balms often have soothing properties, helping to relieve itchiness and irritation associated with growing a beard.
- Limited hold: If you require a stronger hold to maintain a specific beard style, beard balms may not provide enough control. In such cases, you might need to consider using additional styling products.
- Shiny finish: Beard balms usually offer a natural shine to your beard, which may not be desirable if you prefer a matte appearance.
- Application difficulty: Due to their thicker consistency, beard balms can be slightly more challenging to apply evenly throughout the beard compared to oils or waxes.
Get your amazing beard balms here
Beard Oils: Beard oil is a liquid grooming product primarily made of carrier oils such as jojoba oil, hemp seed (CBD) oil, along with essential oils for fragrance. Beard oils are lightweight and easily absorbed by the beard and skin. They provide moisture and nourishment, making your beard softer, smoother, and more manageable. Beard oils are particularly useful for those with dry or coarse facial hair, as they help alleviate dryness and reduce frizz.
- Texture: Beard oils have a lightweight and liquid texture, making them easy to apply and distribute evenly throughout your beard.
- Moisturization: The main purpose of beard oils is to provide hydration to your beard and the underlying skin. They can help combat dryness, itchiness, and dandruff.
- Softening: The carrier oils in beard oils work to soften and condition your facial hair, making it more manageable and reducing frizz.
- Absorption: Beard oils are quickly absorbed by the hair and skin, leaving no greasy residue behind.
- Hydration: Beard oils are excellent at moisturizing the beard and skin, preventing dryness and promoting healthier beard growth.
- Softening and smoothing: The conditioning properties of beard oils can help make your facial hair softer, smoother, and easier to groom.
- Frizz control: Beard oils reduce frizz and flyaways, giving your beard a neater and more polished appearance.
- Itch relief: The hydrating and soothing properties of beard oils can alleviate itching and irritation that often accompanies beard growth.
- Limited hold: Beard oils do not provide a strong hold for shaping or styling your beard. If you require more control, you may need to use additional styling products.
- Scent sensitivity: Some beard oils contain essential oils for fragrance, which may cause sensitivity or irritation in individuals with sensitive skin or allergies.
- Shiny finish: Beard oils typically impart a natural shine to the beard, which may not be preferred by those who desire a matte look.
Get your amazing classic beard oil here
Beard Waxes: Beard wax is a grooming product with a thicker consistency, usually containing a blend of waxes like beeswax and oils used for shaping and styling your beard, providing a stronger hold compared to balms or oils. They are ideal for maintaining more intricate beard styles, such as moustaches (mustaches), goatees, or sculpted looks. Beard waxes can also add some texture and definition to your facial hair while offering a subtle shine.
- Texture: Beard waxes have a firm texture due to the presence of waxes like beeswax, which provides a solid hold for shaping and styling your beard.
- Hold and control: Beard waxes offer a strong hold, making them ideal for maintaining intricate beard styles, such as mustaches, goatees, or sculpted looks.
- Texture and definition: Beard waxes can add texture and definition to your facial hair, making it appear more voluminous and enhancing your beard's natural shape.
- Shine: While not as shiny as balms or oils, beard waxes do provide a subtle sheen to your beard.
- Strong hold: Beard waxes offer a robust hold, allowing you to shape and maintain your desired beard style throughout the day.
- Styling versatility: With their firm texture, beard waxes are suitable for creating more intricate and sculpted beard styles.
- Control over unruly hair: If you have particularly coarse or unruly facial hair, beard waxes can help tame and control it effectively.
- Texture and volume: Beard waxes can add texture and volume to your beard, providing a fuller appearance.
- Less natural appearance: Compared to balms or oils, beard waxes may give your beard a more styled or artificial look, which may not be desirable for those seeking a more natural appearance.
- Difficulty in application: Beard waxes require more effort to apply evenly throughout your beard due to their thicker consistency.
- Potential stiffness: In some cases, beard waxes may make your facial hair feel slightly stiff or less flexible due to the strong hold they provide.
- Build-up: If not properly washed out, beard waxes can leave residue in your beard, requiring regular cleansing to avoid buildup.
In conclusion, beard balms, beard oils, and beard waxes serve different purposes and offer distinct benefits. Beard balms provide moisture, conditioning, and light hold, while beard oils focus on hydration, softening, and frizz control. Beard waxes, on the other hand, offer strong hold, styling versatility, and added texture. The choice between them depends on personal preferences, the desired level of hold and control, beard style, and individual grooming needs. Experimenting with different products can help you determine which one works best for you and your beard!
Get your amazing beard wax here
Why not try this popular routine combining all 3 products, which is especially useful during drier months.
Step 1: Immediately after washing and drying your beard, apply an oil to moisturize deep into your hair follicles
Step 2: Use a small amount of beard balm, warm it with your palms and then apply to your beard to seal in the moisture
Step 3: Finally, use the wax to style as you wish (e.g. mustache curls)